Monday, July 21, 2008

Audrey Olivia's First Week




When they placed you in my arms, you slipped into my heart.-- Author Unknown

What a miracle our sweet Audrey is! The meaning of her name, strength, is proving to be true.

As if all the complications with TTTS has not been enough she now will spend her first 8-10 weeks of life in Aultman's NICU (neonatal intensive care unit). Her strength continues to amaze us daily. The nurses in the NICU at Aultman are wonderful and provide such encouragement as they update us on Audrey.

She has come a long way in just 9 days, continuously improving. She is completely off oxygen and has said good-bye to tanning under the bili-light after just 3 days. She is enjoying her feedings and is currently up to 24 cc's, which is her max for her weight...a whopping 2 lbs. 12 oz. She's almost back up to her birthweight, 2 lbs. 14 1/2 oz.

Audrey is perfect in every way, just quite small. As far as age goes, she will continue to be referred to in gestation weeks. We are currently at the 32 week mark. She is being fed through a feeding tube and will remain that way until 36 weeks. It's hard to believe it will be four more weeks until I can even attempt to feed her. For now, I am content to spend my days holding her and realize this precious gift God has given us. She truly is a miracle.

I look forward to each daily visit and watching her as she grows, even if it is only in grams at this point. I'm sure someday in the future I'll look back and be amazed at how small she once was.

I'm starting to feel like Audrey's Mommy as I got to change her diaper Thursday. Talk about a challenge. I have never changed a diaper of a preemie, let alone a preemie in an isolette. It might possibly be the most awkward task for a Mommy. For starters, you have to change from the side position and through two holes that are about 8" in diameter. All while trying to be as gentle as possible, because your sure that she's so tiny she just may break if you do anything wrong. The nurses and I laughed together as I realized that my first change was not up to par. Her diaper was on, but that's about it. I'll get it...it's just going to take some getting used to. It felt great to be able to do that, even if I'm not really good at it yet.

Along with the diaper change, came another milestone...the bath I got to give her on Saturday evening. How fun! I couldn't believe how much she enjoyed it...she didn't even cry. I figured she would be wailing the entire time, but she must like being out of her isolette and in her Mommy's arms.

I spent today singing to her as I kangarooed her for three hours. No, I don't wear a womb shaped pouch...Kangaroo Care is simply holding the baby chest to chest. It is absolutely wonderful and helps to strengthen the bond between mother and child. The numbers on her monitor (heartrate, blood oxygen, and respiratory rate) all even out when I'm holding her. The monitor is Kevin's favorite part of her room. Seriously, Kevin rarely takes his eyes off those monitors everytime we are there to visit. The continuous beeping, binging, and other alarms don't really allow you to relax while in the NICU.

While Kangarooing, I like to tell her stories about her life and how lucky we are to have her. I tell her all about her brothers and how she needs to start growing or she's not going to survive at this house. The nurses comment on how she's such a feisty little lady and although I have no idea where she gets that I'm thankful for every ounce of fiestiness she has in her--it will only help her to get through her NICU stay.

I have to say thank you again to each of you for your prayers. God has provided the strength we have needed to get through this difficult, yet joyous time. Your cards, gifts, meals, babysitting and rides to the hospital are appreciated so very much. I'll continue to update our blog as much as possible although updates may be slow. We are extremely busy with visits to Audrey at the hospital and trying to keep life as normal as possible for our boys. As I sign off for tonight, know that each of you will be in my prayers and how thankful I am to have such a supportive group of family and friends.

1 comment:

Deb Davies said...

Jenn....you are amazing!! I thank God that he has blessed you and Kevin with such positive out look in life!! All your babies are truely blessed with such wonderful parents... Praise the Lord!! I'm so happy to read the updates your so strong Jenn. I will continue to pray for you and your family! God Bless, Deb