Friday, May 23, 2008

Finally Good News...

I have to start off with a big Happy Birthday, Lane!!! I can't believe my baby is one today! My, how fast a year can go by! He has been so much fun. He gave me the greatest birthday gift--he took his first step! That's a milestone I'll never forget.


We finally got some good news about this pregnancy on Wednesday at my MFM appointment. Dr. Gill, who is just about the most compassionate doctor you could meet, said that all looks great with Baby B. He explained that the first 2 weeks after surgery were the most critical and if a blood transfusion would've taken place when Baby A passed that it would have shown up in Baby B's brain by now.


He went through everything that they look for to make sure that the transfusion did not happen and our little girl checked out just fine. She has a heart rate of 156 and weighs 15 oz. Dr. Gill said that we could stand to hear some good news and said they aren't going to do another ultrasound until 28 weeks (I'm currently 23 weeks). I'll continue to see my MFM every 2-3 weeks. This makes me a little nervous, yet at the same time ultrasounds are not nearly as exciting for me as they used to be. I used to look forward to seeing two heartbeats and they still evaluate Baby A which makes it very difficult to watch. Not to mention, I feel like I always have to ask the ultrasound tech before they even start if they know that we lost one of our babies.


So, with Baby B doing so well it's really hard to continue laying around the house. Dawson and I have been having "Sorry" tournaments on a daily basis, so that has been a highlight. I would love to be able to pick Lane up when he's crying and plant some flowers. It's amazing the things you take for granted.


I'm hoping at my next appointment on June 4 we can discuss this bed rest thing. My understanding is that since I had surgery I'm at risk for pre-term labor and therefore bed rest will probably continue. I have been taking procardia, a heart medication, every six hours to relax my uterus. Don't ask me how that works, sounds kind of crazy to me. However, it must be working because I haven't had any contractions that I know of.


It's getting kind of old calling our girls Baby A and Baby B, so we're going to have to name them soon. At least I can say she/her now! I was always afraid that I was going to slip. We have some names that we really like, but have not made a final decision yet. We'll make sure to post our names when we come to an agreement. So, we're open to suggestions.


Thank you again to everyone for you support, prayers, and kind words. We have been so overwhelmed by everyones generosity and feel so fortunate to be surrounded by such caring friends and family. I can't even begin to tell you what this means to me. Lots of hugs to all of you!

3 comments:

Todd and Jamie said...

We are glad to hear that you were able to get some good news. We hope that you and your little girl continue to do well.

mb golemo said...

Dear Jenn and Kevin,
I hope you, the boys and your little baby girl are doing well.
Happy Birthday, Lane! As Aunt Georgie said, thanks for writing this blog and keeping us informed. Please know that warm wishes and prayers are being sent to you from Iowa. With love, Aunt Mary Beth

Caryn Betson said...

Jenn - I am so glad to hear your good news! Sorry I haven't stopped by or called, things have been busy. Hopefully it slows down a bit and I will be able stop by and just sit and chat with you! Hope to see you soon.
Hugs to You - Caryn