Sunday, April 5, 2009

We're Back...The Post Full of Excuses...

Wow! I can't believe its been 2 months since I've posted on our blog! Lots has been going on in our family and I have lots of excuses for why I haven't updated to share with you. I hope this post finds you and your family doing well and ready to head into Spring.


Excuse #1

Dawson!
Why is his name in purple? you might ask. Well, that's been Dawson's favorite color and it doesn't seem to be changing. I really had to talk him out of getting purple Crocs for Excuse #7! Dawson has been a busy 4-year-old. Pre-school, story hour and Kindergarten Registration has been keeping him rather tied up. I really believe I just gave birth to Dawson about a week ago, is it really time for Kindergarten? Kindergarten registration was so much fun! When Dawson is not busy with school he's got a major NASCAR race happening on our kitchen island. Yep, our island is no longer an eating place, but a NASCAR track. You can see the likes of the following racers any given day at the Troyer House: John Smith (yes, from Pocahontas), Kenny Jacobs (he always says Dad's last name, too funny), Lee, Dale Hart Jr (his words), Kyle Busch, Mark Martin (who always wins now that Keka works for him), BJ, Cody, Uncle Dean, Crank (Craig, a nice kid that helps out my dad on the farms in the summer) and I know I'm forgetting a ton of others who have graced our Corian oops, I mean pavement. I'm hoping now that the weather is getting nice we'll have more backyard baseball games instead of NASCAR races for awhile. I'll keep you posted!


Excuse #2
Lane!
Lanerz is still speaking chopnese (according to Dawson), but now with a little Dutch thrown in the mix. While he still doesn't have many English words, Lane is carrying on full conversations in his own "Languish." Lane is the sweetest little guy you'd ever meet. He's a charmer, a true charmer. He gets more comments about his blue eyes and smile than you can imagine. I'm hoping he never abuses that gift. Lane is full of energy and always on the go! This is the kid who you really, really can't take your eyes off, not even for a minute. He's a Houdini, always plotting his next escape. Lane spends his time shadowing his big brother, much to Dawsons dismay. He's interested in everything that Dawson is at the exact same time that Dawson is interested in it, which doesn't always make for peace in our home. When he's not mimicking Dawson he likes looking at books and loves to be read to. I have to update you on the toothbrush addiction. Although his toothbrush fetish has not completely ended, it has subsided enough that we are able to purchase toothbrushes on a monthly basis rather than weekly :). We have recently switched babysitters and although I was nervous about taking Lane to someone new, he has adjusted well. So well in fact that when I pick him up he cries because he would rather stay. I tell myself its just the horses, what parent can compete with a barn full of horses? By the way, Lane does have 2 new words: both Dutch (horse and deer)


Excuse #3
Audrey!
The little lady that lights up the Troyer household is growing by leaps and bounds. She is such a happy baby and already shows her personality. Audrey is almost always smiling and with those twinkling blue eyes, she has melted lots of hearts. Audrey is suffering from a terrible cold right now and due to my last excuse on this list I thought it was important to take her to the doctor to make sure there was nothing more than a cold to worry about. Turns out there is nothing more than a cold to worry about :) By the way, my once 2 lbs 14 1/2 oz baby now weighs 18 lbs 4 1/2 oz! Yikes! No wonder this lady is almost 9 months old wearing size 12-18 months pants! Developmentally, Audrey is behind the full-term 9-month-olds. Its kind of frustrating to see other babies that are her age and size sitting by themselves, crawling and even pulling themselves up. This is when I have to remind myself that Audrey is really only 6 1/2 months old and that she is where she should be developmentally, even though she's a really, really big 6 1/2 month old :). Audrey is currently rolling over and back over (yay! that back over step took us awhile) and sitting up with some back support. She's still getting Occupational and Physical Therapy monthly. It's amazing how fast time flies isn't it...where has 9 months gone?


Excuse #4
Olivia
I don't know if it makes sense to say it like this, but I've been fortunate enough to participate in a group with other mothers who have lost babies and children. Our last session was last week and I dearly missed those ladies this past Thursday night. There's comfort in talking with someone who has walked a similar road. I wish that it wasn't this road that brought us together, I wish that we all had our children back and we could've been meeting for a play-date, but God had different plans for us. Painful plans, but no doubt, His plan. I've learned that grief doesn't end in a year and contrary to what people say, it doesn't always "get easier." It's hard work, exhausting work and it hurts. I miss Olivia each and every day. I can't believe its been almost a year since we went through our TTTS battle. Every detail, every little detail is still so vivid... hearing "there's two," the ultra sound that sent me to Aultman, trips to Cincinatti, the sounds of the doctors voices, the smells, the Hope, the prayers, the taste of Boost, the morning of surgery, the support from family, support from friends, research, advice from surgeons, oh the list could go on and on. It's a painful journey, a life-changing journey, a wake-you-up-in-the-middle-of- the-night wondering journey, a journey that requires you to fall at the feet of God and search for your purpose. It's my journey and I'll walk, run and trudge in it until I reach my destination.

The Lord gave and the Lord has taken away;
may the name of the Lord be praised. Job 1: 21


Excuse #5
Kevin!
Ok, not actually Kevin, but his Masters Degree. This is truly the greatest excuse for not updating our Blog. Kevin is constantly on our computer earning his Masters Degree in from Nova Southeastern University. I know I'll be excited when he's done in July! However, I don't think that compares to how ecstatic he will be to have some of his "life" back in the evenings. We have many family outtings right now that Daddy doesn't participate in so he can get some work done at home. It will be nice to have my husband back full-time, oh and lets be honest, I'll enjoy having the computer back too!


Excuse #6
Dave Ramsey!
No, he's not a long-lost uncle. Wouldn't that be nice, though? My fifth excuse is our Financial Peace University Classes. Kevin and I have been getting "Gazelle Intense" at Grace on Sunday evenings with a group of about fifty. If you've never taken this class, I highly recommend it! Dave Ramsey makes budgeting and learning about money fun! I'm not kidding. I wish I would've been as interested in my college classes as I am our Sunday evening lessons with Dave. I don't want to leave when the 2 hour class is over-give me more, give me more! Yes, it's that good! When we aren't in class we spend a great deal of time planning. We are constantly at work on our debt snowball, allocated plan and monthly budget meetings (which usually turn into weekly discussions). It's been tough, but also life-changing. We finish our last class tonight "The Big Misunderstanding," I think that's the name of tonight's lesson. I've heard its pretty powerful and I'm really looking forward to it. I'm sad that we won't be going to anymore of these classes, because I feel that there is so much more to learn. Although the classes are ending the time we spend on our budget and financial planning probably won't change much, but I'll try not to use that as an excuse again :)



Excuse #7
Disney!
I just have to say that I have the best sister ever! Kendra turns 30 next Sunday, April 12-another example of how fast life moves. She had been planning a trip to Italy with our parents, which I must say I was extremely jealous over. Italy, one of my dream destinations and my family was going without us! About 3 weeks ago Kendra called to discuss her new plans for her birthday. It turns out Keka would rather spend her 30th birthday with our family than going to Italy! I know what you're all thinking! I can't blame you for thinking it though- Italy, Troyer Family and Disney, Italy, Troyer Family and Disney. I know which way my scale tips! I am thankful her scale has lead on one side when it comes to my children. Kevin and I just get to come along with the package :). So, we've been busy planning and packing. The countdown has been on since 19 days. Keka told Dawson with a cute note from Mickey Mouse and made him a chain to tear off a link each day. Only 3 links are left and Dawson is beyond ecited (his words, again)!


Sidenote: I know some of you must be reading this thinking, "wasn't Excuse #5 Dave Ramsey?" Kevin and I really struggled with allowing ourselves to go on this trip...it's not in the "Gazelle Intensity" plan at this point. How do you turn down a family trip to Disney? All I can say to you FPU graduates is...we will not allow this vacation to follow us home :)



No more excuses. After Disney, I'm sure I'll have plenty of pictures and even more stories to share. It's good to be back.

4 comments:

Jill said...

Great to see you back on the blog. Have a great time at Disney...pack snacks. That was a big time saver, money saver and mood equalizing tip for ya!

Anonymous said...

Glad you're back! I kept looking for more pictures of your precious kiddos and wondered what happened to you....I love your excuses...definitely good ones. Boden (6 mos.) doesn't roll over yet but can sit up finally! Glad to see how far that baby girl has come. She is adorable. I am still looking forward to meeting her!
~Lisa M (Erica's sister)

Holly said...

Wow, you sound busy! Those are all good excuses for not blogging, hahah!

Unknown said...

Your words about your sweet son took me back to when I was 4 . I was looking forward to a new brother or sister . Glad I'd have some one to play with . We lived on a farm so I couldn't just go next door and play with other kids . My little brother " John Sanford Troyer " was born on Thanksgiving 2 months early .2 days later He went to be with our Lord . It was a sad time for all of us . Dad and Mom wanted more children but mom couldn't have any more . Later they took in foster Children . One of them a girl was with us for many years and was like a real sister . My parents , foster sister Dolly & little brother John are together with our lord now . I miss them all but knowing where they are and that I'll see them some day helps so much . I was born on Christmas day and I'm 70 now .
God bless you and your family .