Tuesday, April 29, 2008

The Beginning

The best things happen when you least expect it.

When 2008 started we--Kevin and I-- were finally adjusted to being parents of two boys--Dawson (3) and Lane (7 months)--and settled into our new home. Things seemed to be slowing down, the holidays were over and we were heading into that part of the year when it seemed like eternity until Spring.

We had friends over one evening and the "baby discussion" came up. Our friends have three children and they asked us if we planned on having any more. Ahhh, the great debate...we just weren't sure. Kevin and I were completely content with our two boys and thought we'd just wait awhile to decide.

God had different plans for us, however. A week later we were suprised to find out that I was indeed pregnant. What a shock! Lane was only seven-months-old at the time! How on earth were we going to do this?!?!?! Needless to say I was quite overwhelmed. The emotional rollercoaster started: tears, fear, and guilt followed for the next three weeks.

Kevin would see me crying and say "Jenn, you might as well quit crying about this, you're pregnant and remember, this baby is a blessing, not a burden." That hit home and my thoughts began changing...even though I secretly thought, "Only 14 months apart...that's got to be worse than having twins!"

At eight weeks, I experienced problems with our pregnancy and made an appointment to see the doctor. My first words to the doctor were "I bet you didn't expect to see me this soon."

He laughed and said "Let's take a look and see what's going on."

He began the ultrasound, saw a heartbeat and everything looked good. He said--and I quote-- "I only see one." My comment, was "Whew, that's good news!" Then he said "Jenn, I gotta take that back for a minute...there's TWO!"

WHAT!?!?

It's amazing how emotions can change so quickly. I was shocked we were pregnant, then fearing a miscarriage, and finally ecstatic to learn we were having twins.

Little did Kevin and I know that the rollercoaster ride was just beginning...



"Some days ... the whole world seems upside down. And then somehow, and probably, and when you least expect it, the world rights itself again." (Meredith Grey, Grey's Anatomy).





No comments: